The first topic in our “Top Ten” Series will deal with how to have GREAT Engagement Photos! These are the photos that announce to the world that you are engaged to the love of your life! You know the photos where the girl is gently laying her head on her fiance’s shoulder in front of a plain back ground with extremely soft lighting – pretty right? Yes of course they are!! But do they tell a story? No…so here is how to have your photos tell your story!
- Pick the right photographer for what you want. It doesn’t have to be the same photographer that shoots your wedding! You may want more of a staged shoot for your engagement photos and photojournalism for your wedding. That’s great but not every photographer can do both.
- Break the rules. Who says the girl has to sit in front of the guy while he holds her? Why can’t he be lying in her lap? These are little things but don’t follow preset rules!
- Do not look like twins! If you want real photos of you and your love – it doesn’t mean you have to dress alike. Yes you should coordinate but that doesn’t mean sacrificing your individual style. The reason you love one another may be because of your differences – let that come through. Just talk to your photographer before hand on the best clothing choices.
- Smile! I understand that not everyone enjoys having their photo taken – but you don’t want to look depressed in your engagement or save the date photos. Just think of it not as a “photo session” but a very short, photo documentary of your upcoming nuptials.
- Consider having your shoot “styled” by a professional. They can bring elements together to make your photos truly unique. Your photographer or wedding planner would be great resources to use – just be open to creativity.
- Have your makeup and hair professionally done for the shoot. Not to say you have to look any different from yourself, but the camera, especially digital ones, pick up every detail!
- Write out your story for your photographer. What brought you together? Do you both enjoy a similar type of drink? Was there something funny or unique that brought you together? Then ask if he/she can incorporate that into your photos.
- If you are using these as your save the date cards – tell your photographer! Ask your photographer if he/she can incorporate the wedding information into the picture. Maybe leaving space at the top for the date to be “photo-shopped” in. This is a lot more unique than simply putting a photo on a pre-made template.
- Don’t be in a hurry! If you think you will get awesome photos in 30 minutes or less after you beat the traffic home from work and rushed to change clothes and grab a bite to eat – well I think you get the “picture”. This should be enjoyable for you and your spouse to be – make sure you have the time and a photographer that will take the time to make them great.
- Have fun! Yes have fun while having your professional engagement or save the date photos taken. Joke around, be yourselves, don’t let the camera dictate to you how you will interact with one another. Go to a place that you love, relax, be yourselves and look forward to the awesome photos you are about to have done!
This isn’t an all-inclusive list…but it will definitely get the job done and hopefully give you some ideas you hadn’t had before! Feel free to leave comments or share with us your engagement pics!